What you need to know about THOMPSON’S STATION


What you need to know about THOMPSON’S STATION

Town of Thompson’s Station

P.O. Box 100 1550

Thompson’s Station Road West

Thompson’s Station, TN 37179

(615) 794-4333; www.thompsons-station.com

History

The first settlers in what is now Thompson’s Station arrived in the late 1700s. In 1800, there were only 24 local taxpayers, but by 1866, that number reached 200. The town was first known as White House. In 1836, it became Littlebury in 1836, reportedly named after then-postmaster Littleberry Starks. In 1856, after Dr. Elijah Thompson donated the land where the village was built, Thompson’s Station took root.

When trains rolled into Thompson’s Station in August 1855, the village grew as a shipping center. Farmers from surrounding areas drove their hogs, sheep and cattle to be taken to market. The railroad remained a big part of the town’s life through the 1940s, when chemical companies relied on trains to transport the region’s phosphate rich soil to processing plants. However, as the highway system and trucking transport grew, rail traffic faded and the town’s depot was torn down in the 1950s. A new depot was constructed in 1996 and now serves as the Town Hall.

Thompson’s Station was incorporated as a town in 1990.

The town’s population in 2017 was estimated at 5,662.

Government

Thompson’s Station is governed by a Board of Mayor and Aldermen, comprised of a mayor and four town aldermen. The town’s day-to-day operations are overseen by a town administrator. Citizen panels provide input and direction to BOMA members and staff.

The next election will take place in November 2020. Current Mayor is Cory Napier.

Most Thompson’s Station residents live in Williamson County government’s Districts 2 and 9, with each district represented by two county commissioners and one Williamson County School board representative. The town is split between State Legislative Districts 63 and 65, and is in State Senate District 23, and U.S. Congressional District 7. For more information: www.thompsons-station.com; (615) 794-4333. www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov

The MARS Petcare Nutro Dog Park Thursday, February 21, 2019 in Thompson’s Station, Tennessee
Photographer: Steve Harman @harmanvisuals

Departments and services

Parks and recreation: Sarah Benson Park is in the town center and has walking-fitness trail, playing fields, two pavilions and a stage. Heritage Park, 96-acres behind Heritage schools’ campus, has 5 baseball fields and walking trails. Nearby are 4 soccer fields of varying sizes. Preservation Park is a passive park with Civil War significance. Nutro Dog Park is a 4-acre dog park with separate areas for large and small dogs. www.thompsons-station.com/; (615) 794-4333.

Community Garden: The Community Gardens are managed by the Thompson’s Station Community Association (TSCA). www.thetsca.org for more information.

Community Center: Located across from Town Hall, this center can be rented for private and community events.

Education: Thompson’s Station is served by seven Williamson County Schools campuses, including Independence High School, Heritage and Thompson’s Station middle schools, and Bethesda, Heritage, Oak View and Thompson’s Station elementary schools. www.wcs.edu/

TSCA: The Thompson’s Station Community Association is a 501c organization that supports and promotes the area’s quality of life. www.thetsca.org.

Top employers

Williamson County Schools

Mars Petcare Global Innovation Center

About The Author

Related posts